10.27.2008

Uwharrie Rover Expedition 5

Just me and Olive went to URE this year, Tiffany was home with her Mom and friends exploring North Carolina.

I packed up on Thursday night and Friday morning and I was on the road at 6:00 am heading to meet up with a caravan in Asheville.

Before I left I installed a new qt differential guard on the rear of the Disco. It provides some good protection against rocks and such.
The differential is a very vulnerable system on Land Rovers and the
added armor there can be a life saver when it comes to accidentally banging it.









This year had identical weather to last year. Dry Friday, then rain at night. Rain all morning on Saturday, then dry for the afternoon. Dry all Saturday night, clear Sunday. The trails were soaked and snotty again which made the ride a ton of fun.

We went on a quick trail ride on Friday and I rode along with a friend in a
Defender 110 Diesel pick-up that afternoon up some of the most difficult trails. That diesel Land Rover was a billy goat! It did awesome. Jason cut a sidewall on rock and the guys on the trail plugged it with four safety seals...it was definitely a learning experience. I got a picture of diesel flowing out of the cap too, it is right when the truck lands.









That ride another friend on mine broke and axle, fixed it, then rolled his Discovery over on its side. Luckily no one was hurt. The damage wasn't too bad. No broken glass, but some bent panels, broken lights and a bent roof rack. He had a full size tool box and winch in the back that fell against the glass without breaking it! We all pushed her back over and he rode right up the rest of the way.









The next day, we all lined up again and hits the trails. There were some big water crossings, hill climbs, some very close trees and some winching. I made it through alright...to some applause also! I never got stuck and just cracked my bumper a bit, no big deal.









The club has a halloween decoration contest that Liz decorated our site with Land Rovers in Paradise. The other picture is Hastie's dog all dressed up. I had a great time again and had a chance to meet many more people. There were a ton of Series and some early Defenders. The US is letting in older trucks now and they should start appearing everywhere. I posted some pictures of some of my favorites and I also put in a picture of a canvas top Discovery. I am excited for next year also. Hopefully Tiffany can come and hopefully I'll have a few more inches of lift...



2 comments:

Madeleine Gillespie said...

haha. why is that explorer pulling that rig. that is funny.

i'm jealous. was it amazing?

Rikeke said...

The explorer was just a vendor I think, they had a ton of products there like high-lifts, skid plates, sliders, etc.

It was amazing. I was very happy with my truck and driving, I made it through some serious obstacles that other modified trucks had to get pulled out.